Our daily operations are designed with the safety and security of our community in mind. Parents, faculty, staff, students — and even our friends and neighbors — can feel reassured about our commitment to providing the safest possible environment in which to learn and grow.
Our goal is to be prepared for any type of emergency that may occur while also maintaining our close community feel. We review and update our crisis plan annually under the guidance of Margolis Healy, a firm specializing in safety, security, and emergency preparedness. We also have an active partnership with local law enforcement, legal counsel, and emergency communications consultants. We utilize systems such as CampusAlert and AlertNow for community communications.
In the fall of 2022, Margolis Healy completed a thorough study of campus security, which included:
- a detailed review of our crisis plan and written information about security measures;
- a two-day on-site review, which included meetings with key stakeholders, a facility analysis, and observations about campus at different times of day; and
- a workshop with the School's Executive Council, during which the group planned responses to hypothetical (but realistic) crisis scenarios using an "if this, then that" approach.
The review praised Steward’s existing plans, suggested we evaluate the need for security personnel on campus, and also recommended enhancements that are being implemented during the 2022-23 and 2023-24 school years, which include:
- improved on-campus communication tools
- more secure entrance and egress mechanisms
- increased lighting
- more cameras around campus
School leadership takes safety seriously. Steward is a vibrant community of friends and families, and it is our goal to maintain the ease of personal connections while also protecting each individual’s safety.