To honor Ray Tate’s love of sports and the role they play in developing well-rounded young adults, a portion of the proceeds from the Ray Tate Spartan Golf Classic
are used for two $1,000 scholarships awarded annually in his name. The scholarships recognize two currently enrolled Steward seniors who best exemplify the qualities of an exemplary student-athlete.
The qualities of a Ray Tate Student-Athlete Scholarship recipient include:
- Exhibiting excellent character and espousing the value of responsible citizenship consistent with the mission, values, and philosophy of The Steward School
- Possessing a strong work ethic, high values, commitment, and a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Demonstrating meaningful extracurricular involvement
- Consistently showing respect for teachers, coaches, adults, self, and others
Specific eligibility and criteria include:
- The students must be currently-enrolled, Steward seniors.
- The students must be current student-athletes who are also involved in meaningful extracurricular activities, including an outside cause.
- The students must be in good academic standing by maintaining at least a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
This is a competitive scholarship, to be awarded by application, with a decision being made by the Ray Tate Student-Athlete Scholarship selection committee. Preference should go to students who meet the above requirements and have a true need for financial assistance. The committee includes the athletic director, Upper School division director, Spartan Club Board president and vice president, Upper School division assistant, and the Upper School dean of students. The winners will be announced before winter break.
Please complete the following application in its entirety by Sunday, November 15, 2020. Applications will not be accepted after this date.